Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



8/4/11

Like the Science Fair and RenFest had a baby: Maker Faire Detroit by DC-in-Detroit

DC is a longtime contributor to the MCB.
She can be reached at DC.in.Detroit [at] gmail.com

The Henry Ford, Dearborn, Michigan
30-31 July 2011

Maker Faire is something that's nearly impossible to describe. So many different skills and talents are on display, there really isn't any one umbrella to put them all under, except to say that even the crafters you're used to seeing around Detroit brought their "geek" game.

Although, these days, even "geek" doesn't really mean what it did even a few years ago (let alone back in the carnival days – I didn't see ONE headless chicken all weekend). The genre now covers everything from gamers to dirty carnival folks to people who speak fluent hexadecimal. The common characteristic, it seems, is a love for brain excitement, whether that comes from designing and welding a giant flame-breathing dragon vehicle or engineering bioluminescent bacteria (hi, Kyle!).

As much as I enjoy fairs, conventions, and things of that nature, the secret truth is, I tend to get bored relatively quickly with the single-focus that defines most of those events. The real beauty of Maker Faire is the sheer variety of art and tech and homespun wonder; I was there all day for both days, and I didn't spend a moment unstimulated. (The not-so-secret truth is, I don't really like little kids, but even my coal-like heart was tickled by the bright eyes and curious little hands that were everywhere to be found.)

This is the second year of Maker Faire in Detroit, and although I haven't seen any official numbers yet, my guess is this year's attendance doubled last year's. Detroit, you make me proud again!

Best thing to do is look at the pictures. If you're amused, excited, or even just curious, make plans for next July, because I'm sure we'll do it all again.

(Oh and keep an eye on TechShop Detroit in Allen Park, which is promising to be a great resource to get your tech on, and the always-fab i3 Detroit in Ferndale.)