Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



5/11/10

Interview with Mark Arminski - “Processional of The Not So Ordinary” opening at 323East Saturday May 15th 2010 6pm

MCB favorite Mark Arminski is having an art opening
at 323East this Saturday 6-11pm
He is not only a favorite because of his style and talent
but mainly because he is an avid supporter of what we do
here at the MCB and has always had our back with street props
and donations to givaway to the readers
Plus he is just a cool guy and a great conversationalist
We got together with Mark this week for a shortie style interview
and encourage you to check out the opening
and support local detroit art!!!
MCB:
Describe how you became interested in art
-early influences that got you started painting.
Arminski:
As kids, my Mom used to take us to the DIA for these Saturday morning kids classes and events. I used to be really fascinated by the Masters paintings. French, Italian, Dutch... to me, even as a kid, they were special, unreal and extremely beautiful.
MCB:
How long have you been living in the motorcity and has it made an impact on your art or your approach to creativity?
Arminski:
I was born in Detroit. Every winter, I tell myself I'm going to leave... then I don't. I must like it here. As for the city having an impact on my creativity, I'm sure that it does. Detroit's a unique place and I think that had I grown up elsewhere I may not look at or approach things differently but I might have a different kind of drive.
MCB:
You have been an intregal part of many of the home grown festivals such as Dally in the Alley and Peoples Art Festvial...talk a bit about your involvement with those and others...
Arminski:
I think that I just like to keep active and when I'm not doing the selfish stuff for me I like to involve myself with things that are just a bit off the path of the norm and maybe give opportunity to some that otherwise that might not have it.
MCB:
Most people are aware of your amazing illustration work and with this show will get a chance to see the "other side" of Mark Arminski... describe how you have divided your efforts between the various types of mediums you employ?
Arminski:
I've always looked at the posters as a learning endeavor... when I got real busy with it, in addition to the learning part, it became a source of income. To sustain it (and myself) I did it for the money. Painting, on the other hand, is purely selfish. I do it because it makes me feel good, I lose myself in it and I pretty much paint whatever I want. I have no one to answer to. Then there is all the art in between... who knows why I do that.
MCB:
We heard there was an Arminski show in the works for the UK or France next year....can you shed some light on this for us.
Arminski:
You must've heard that from me. I'm talking to someone in England and we're trying to work out all the logistics. It's a little way off. I'll keep you in the loop.
MCB:
What is your favorite sports team here in the city?
Favorite sandwich?
Favorite movie?
Arminski:
I'm not a sports person, but I love the Derby Girls. I'm not partial to any of the teams but I do have my favorite skaters which I'd rather not say who they are because I have these fantasies. Speed, gettin' knocked on your ass by some babe on wheels then maybe have another one skate over you... OK. Next question. Sandwich, If I could wrap 2 pieces of bread around the rock shrimp and asparagus, linguine dish at Union Street that would be it. It would be sloppy but that's it. Movie, I'm stuck on TIDELAND right now, music, drugs, taxidermy and just total bizarreness... and it has some of my favorite acting-persons.
MCB:
Tell us a little about the upcoming showing at 323East?
Arminski:
I guess I'm excited about it because it's strictly paintings (and prints of paintings)... no posters. I'm interested to see if there's any reaction because most people that are familiar with my work think of just posters. I was painting long before I got involved with posters. I like to look at it as my poster-making just got me sidetracked for awhile, like 20 years. Now I'm painting again. There will be a few other "sculptural" and toy pieces there.
We'll see.
Get to this show!!!!
323East Gallery Presents Mark Arminksi’s “Processional of The Not So Ordinary”
Rare Exhibit of Mark Arminski Paintings Opens Friday May 15, 2010

323East presents “Processional of the Not So Ordinary” a rare exhibit of paintings by renowned poster artist Mark Arminski. The show opens on Saturday May 15, 2010 with an artist’s reception from 6 p.m. – 11 p.m., and runs through June 10, 2010. Both the opening reception and exhibit are free and open to the public.

Widely recognized for his eye-popping, colorful concert art, the “Processional of the Not So Ordinary” focuses on extraordinary individuals - some famous, some not – and is Arminski’s first exhibit to solely showcase his paintings.

Among Arminski’s “not so ordinary” subjects are sideshow performers The Great Omi and Jo Jo The Dog Faced Boy, Swiss scientist (and LSD inventor) Albert Hofmann, celebrity Pee Wee Herman, local artist Audrey Pongrancz and more. At times Arminski’s bold, often-dreamlike portraits evoke a sense of his subjects traveling through an unconscious world. But Arminski prefers viewers to draw their own conclusions, explaining “what it means to me is less important then what it means to you.”

Although starting out in fine arts, Detroiter Mark Arminski first gained international fame for his highly collectable concert posters, many which are featured in the book “Art of Modern Rock: The Poster Explosion, “ alongside Coop, Frank Kozik and other pioneers in the field. Highly regarded by both critics and art collectors, Arminski was named “Artist of the Year” by Visions magazine and has been profiled in Juxtapoz, Metro Times, Real Detroit Weekly, Detroit Pubic TV and numerous overseas publications.

For Arminski, the “Processional of the Not So Ordinary” is a return to his fine art roots, and an opportunity for him to embrace the organic process of painting. In addition to his original paintings, Arminski will also have limited edition prints of some of the exhibit’s most provocative images available for sale at 323East.


www.323East.com

www.arminski.com