Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



1/7/08

I,Crime - The Magic Stick - Sat Jan 12th


Check out I,Crime this Saturday January 12th at The Magic Stick and then again at Smalls Bar in Hamtramck on Thursday January 17th before they head out for a tour. Opening for

I, Crime
Saturday January 12th 2008 - The Magic Stick - Detroit

w/Big Black Cloud & NOMAN Dual Cd Release


I,Crime at The Crofoot Pike Room on December 22nd 2007 opening act for The Gore Gore Girls

Our friend MJ was over at the show and her is what he thought:

01-12-2008 Magic Stick-Detroit

I, Crime Live Show Review

My friend Kirk from MOTORCITYBLOG called me up and asked me if I would like to go see a band called I, Crime for free, the only catch was I would have to write a review. That sounded fair to me, so I headed on down to The Magic Stick in Detroit to check it out. Not ever listening to I Crime I was going in clean and I had no idea what to expect. Were they going to sound like a lot of other random Detroit bands or would something stick out that was different? Once at the stick I went right to the merchandise to check out the swag for sale and I liked their CD cover design…brown paper baggish with burgundy graphics of a male/female balancing act doing their thing on a creeping wolf.

When they took the stage and started playing I could tell right away I,Crime could write a catchy song. The thing I like most about them was the way the singers (Anderson, Jennie and Charlie) harmonized together. With a name like Jennie Knaggs you would think she was leading a punk band from the streets of Melvindale but she had a very hunting voice with good range. Anderson Walworth would balance it out and it really worked. It was cool to see them share the "spotlight" with the vocals – alternating between songs with the lead. The drummer Charlie McCutcheon blended in well with nice transitions and punch when needed. You could tell they were having fun and all were involved in the song development on the record. This band was great at starting a song out kind of slow and then all of a sudden they would kick it into overdrive then right back down to nice soft soothing singing again.

Their songs covered a nice range of styles as well - from real heavy punk styling to haunting dark country like songs. "Drowning" was my favorite of the set by far and I thought that the song had definite radio play potential. Once they finished I decided to leave without catching the other bands leaving I,Crime fresh in mind for the night – but stopped at the merch booth before heading down the stairs with an EP.

Mike J